TOKYO (majirox news) – Japan will prohibit people from entering an evacuation zone within a 20-kilometer radius of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant, Yukio Edano, top government spokesman, said today.
“People will be forbidden to enter without a permit from April 22 at midnight,” Edano said.
The government had been asking people not to enter the 20-kilometer area to protect their health and safety. “Unfortunately, despite this situation, there have been some people who have entered the off-limits area,” Edano said.
Some residents said they are living in the shelters with only the barest of necessities and have refused to leave the area, while others come and go out of the zone to get personal belongings.
“We understand people wanting to return, having evacuated with only the clothes on their backs,” Edano said yesterday. “We are in the last stages of coming up with a plan to allow temporary re-entry for evacuated residents, while safeguarding their health and safety.”
The Fukushima Dai-ichi plant has been leaking radiation since an earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck Japan on March 11.